Tuesday, November 6, 2012

No Favourites To Be Seen

Tuesday 6th November, 2012

Today, being the first Tuesday of the month is Melbourne Cup Day.  It is the biggest horse race in Australia and by the sounds of it, now the world.  There are more International horses in todays race than there are Australian ones.

Tony rang to tell me the horses he got in the sweep at work.  Hmmmm he might just have some luck this year........he got Dunedan in two sweeps, and this horse was regarded as one of the favourites, also Mount Athos, Zabeelionaire and Lights of Heaven.  He was off again to a Melbourne Cup luncheon at the Hilton Hotel.

I stayed home and watched it on TV.  At least with Tony having horses in the sweep it gives me some interest in it.

Well none of Tony's horses ran a place, again!  This year was a race for all outsiders (non favourites).  Green Moon won followed by Fiorente and Jackalberry.  At least Green Moon was trained in Australia and owned by Australians.  The horse had been purchased from England originally.


This year there was also royalty at the track.  Prince Charles and Camilla are here for a quick visit to celebrate the Queen's Diamond Jubilee.  They are due in Adelaide tomorrow for a lightning visit of about 5 hours.



1 comment:

  1. I don't think I've ever been to a horse race. But I do think that the horses are just magnificent animals. I've just caught up with your last post, and the photos of the chinese food has made me quite hungry. Especially that big platter of fried rice! Your girls have so much fun doing things with you, and I think that is just so wonderful.

    I'm at work and must get busy now. I hope your night air stays cool and you have a restful sleep. Hugs, Edna B.

    ReplyDelete